If you are frustrated about carrying cash while traveling, nervous about theft, misplacing your cash and embarrassed while paying for dinner with your business associates in cash, we have the solution. In January 2005, we launched Bhutan’s first globally accepted Gold Visa Credit Cards. For more details, visit us at your nearest BNB office.
How to apply:
- Pick up the two credit card application forms (one ours and the other HIMALAYAN BANK’s) in original issued by HIMALAYAN BANK LIMITED (HBL), Nepal.
- Once all the documents along with the application forms are presented to us, we conduct a credit check with the other financial institutions before beginning the credit process.
- After approval, the relevant documents are sent to HBL to initiate the card production.
- Once we receive the card and after fulfilling all the required legal documentation, the credit card division will issue the card.
- The card will be valid for 4(four) years from the date of issue and will be renewed if needed.
- US dollar 1,000.00 per annum and INR 50000 per month will be the maximum amount a cardholder can utilize (RMA regulations)
Two types of Cards:
- Salary Based which is based on salary undertaking, and
- Collateral Based which is based on collateral.
Specific conditions for Salary based Credit Cards are:
- Must be a Bhutanese citizen and an employee of the Government, Listed Company who is a PF member.
- A Departmental undertaking form should be signed by the head of the Organization that you are working for.
- All other documents listed in the form (as required by the bank) should be submitted.
Specific conditions for Collateral based Credit Cards are:
- Must be a Bhutanese citizen.
- Must put forward fixed collateral in the form of land, building, listed company shares (other than BNBL shares) and fixed deposits.
- The credit limit will be based on total collateral value. (50% of the total value of the collateral)
Primary and Supplementary Cards:
The primary card is issued in the name of the applicant, who can further apply for two supplementary cards (for his/her intimate family members).
Fees and charges
USD Card INR Card
Year Primary Secondary Primary Secondary
1st Year 2500 2500 1500 1500
Annual Fees 2000 2000 1500 1500
- Cash withdrawal fee of USD 4.00 or 2.5% of the transaction amount whichever is higher on every cash advance transaction.
- Cash withdrawal fee of Rs. 200 per withdrawal plus respective bank charges.
- Nu.500 is charged separately for CIB Fees.
- Other charges include whatever HBL charges on the card.
For further information, please contact Card Services Department, Thimphu at +975-2-328577, ext. 1101.